GMC, LD Hospital committees to investigate ‘negligence’ that led to death of unborn child


SRINAGAR: A committee of inquiry has been ordered by the administration of the Lalla Ded (LD) Hospital after a family from Amda Kadal, Lal Bazar, alleged that the “negligence” of hospital staff during the treatment of a pregnant lady caused the death of her unborn baby.
As per the complainant family, Asifa was admitted to Lalla Ded Hospital on 18 May under MRD number 4402 over problems related to her pregnancy. After several medical examinations at the hospital, which the family says turned out fine, Asifa was told that she would be undergoing LSCS – a lower (uterine) segment caesarean section, the most commonly used type of caesarean section, on May 27.
The family has alleged that Asifa was shifted to Shri Maharaja Hari Singh (SMHS) Hospital on the morning of May 25 where she was used as an “object” to demonstrate some gynaecology related issues to trainee students. After 3 hours at SMHS, the patient was shifted back to LD Hospital, with no medical staff accompanying her, the family has alleged.
“The ambulance driver drove so rashly that the patient developed complications. She started bleeding. After reaching the LD Hospital, when she sought her own and her unborn baby’s safety, doctors there rebuked her and asked her to ‘mind her own business’. The patient was not attended to for almost two hours,” the patient’s mother, who was accompanying her, said.
Following the written complaint filed by the patient’s husband, Rouf Ahmad, at the LD Hospital, a board of three doctors – Prof Nighat Firdous, Dr Masooma Rizvi and Dr Fara Shafi – was constituted to ascertain and investigate the cause of IUD in the above patient. The committee has been ordered to submit its report within the next two days.
Another committee comprising five HoDs and medical officers has been constituted by the Government Medical College to investigate the cause of IUD of the patient and the improper shifting of the patient from LD Hospital to SMHS Hospital without informing the head of the department and the medical superintendent of the hospital. “The committee will submit its detailed report within two days positively,” the notice issued by the college said.
Principal, Government Medical College, Srinagar, Dr Samia told Kashmir Reader that there is no harm in transferring patients within hospitals for medical examinations. “Regarding this (Asifa’s) case, an inquiry has been ordered to ascertain the facts that led to this incident. Let the report come,” she said.

Join our newsetter

Sign up today for free and be the first to get notified of new updates.