Srinagar: A press meet on Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was organised by District Nodal Officer, Srinagar, Anees J Qari, Manager- HPCL, here on Friday.
During the press meet LPG dealers of Srinagar district from IOCL, BPCL and HPCL participated. Key features of extended PMUY were discussed and briefed to all LPG dealers during the press meet.
20th April 2018 is to be observed as Ujjwala Divas, wherein 15000 LPG Panchayats shall be organised across India. Srinagar will also observe Ujjwala Divas.
During the celebrations LPG Panchayats will sensitise the Ujjwala beneficiaries about safety and utility of LPG, health benefits of using clean fuels, etc. New connections will be distributed to the beneficiaries on the day. Further, details of expanded PMUY categories getting covered will be explained and also collection of KYC forms for expanded categories of Ujjwala will be done.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched by our India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi on May 1st, 2016 in Ballia, Uttar Pradesh, with the aim of providing clean cooking fuel to BPL women and reducing the drudgery and hazards of biomass cooking. Respect for women is a core value of PMUY.
Under this scheme, a stiff target of enrolling 5 crore customers was entrusted by ministry of petroleum and natural gas to be completed by the year 2019. Enrolment of over 3.56 crore customers within 23 months of the launch of PMUY has been completed. Encouraged by the success the PMUY target enrolment has been increased to 8 crore to be achieved by 2020 as per the budget announcement on 1st of February 2018.
As per the revised modalities of PMUY ref.no.P-17018/1/2016-LPG(Vol.2) dt.12.03.18 has approved to increase PMUY coverage from existing 5 crore to 8 crore BPL households upto the FY 2019-2020. In the revised scheme the selection of woman beneficiary would be from the BPL families identified from the SECC list or BPL family covered under either one of the categories: SC/ST households, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin), Anna Yojana (AAY), Forest dwellers, Most Backward Classes (MBC), Tea and Ex-Tea Garden Tribes, People residing in Island & river Islands.
Highlights of PMUY implementation:
• 4.82 cr PMUY beneficiaries’ applications received as on 01.04.18
• 3.56 cr PMUY released since inception till 01.04.18
• LPG coverage as on 01.04.16 was 61.89% & as on 01.04.18 it has risen to 80.91%
• More than 70 % PMUY beneficiary have also benefitted with loan facility for gas stove and first refill under the scheme
• More than 44% beneficiary under PMUY belong to SC/ST BPL families
• OMCs have announced deferment of loan recovery upto 6 refill consumption for a year w.e.f.01.04.18 from PMUY beneficiaries who have availed/opted for loan from OMCs towards hotplate and installation refill. This will facilitate them in refill uptake as they will be receiving subsidy in the banks.
Since PMUY focuses largely on BPL households, the safety and security of these first-time LPG users is imperative. Accordingly, the concept of LPG Panchayat was introduced to bring together around 100 LPG customers in their immediate vicinity on an interactive platform to discuss the safe and sustainable usage of LPG, its benefits and the linkage between use of clean fuel for cooking and women empowerment. It is proposed to conduct one lakh LPG Panchayats across India before 31st March 2019.